photo morning.png photo noon.png photo night.png photo in-betweem.png photo treats.png photo other-twists.png

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Cranberry, Currant CousCous {with butternut squash + pistachios + green onions + a lemon vinaigrette, too!}

The first time I tried couscous was when I was 14 and in Morocco...and I did not care for it one bit. Now, you'd think couscous from a country famous for it would be hard to hate (I blame my adolescent taste buds), yet I did. Recently, I've been seeing couscous everywhere. I finally gave it a try (after mistaking it for quinoa) at work and quickly became obsessed (hooray, taste buds matured!). Seeing that fall is my favorite season and that this is the time when people start to gain their "winter coat," I thought I'd turn my new found love of couscous (which is low in calories) into a fall/winter staple without feeling any guilt after eating it. Below I present to you the most delicious, tasty couscous you will ever try. It is light, yet with seasonal staples everyone loves. I hope you all enjoy!





Holiday CousCous
Time: 45 Minutes / Serving Size: 6

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 Butternut Squash, Seeded and Peeled
  • 1 Box of Moroccan Style CousCous 
  • 1/2 Cup Pistachios, Roasted and Salted Shelled
  • Generous 1/3 Cup of Currants
  • 1/3 Cup of Dried Cranberries, Chopped
  • 2 Stalks of Green Onion, Sliced Small
  • Zest and Juice of 1 Lemon
  • 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
  • 1 Tsp Salt
  • 1 Tsp Pepper
Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle olive oil on sheet pan. 

Cut the butternut squash at the bulb tip and remove seeds with a spoon. Peel the skin off of the butternut squash. Cut in half and chop squash into 1/4 inch pieces. Place in one layer on sheet pan and season with salt and pepper. Mix it until all is coated with olive oil. Place in oven for 10 minutes, flip squash to other side, and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes (20 minutes in total). Remove from oven and cool.



Cook the couscous according to the instructions on the box.

While the couscous cooks, make the dressing. Zest and juice one lemon. Drizzle olive oil while mixing into the lemon juice. Add back zest into dressing and season with salt and pepper.




Once couscous has finished cooking, fluff with a fork. Transfer couscous to a bowl and drizzle dressing over it. Place in fridge for about 10 minutes.

Roughly (as in there can be whole pieces) chop the cranberries and shelled pistachios. Measure out the currants and slice the green onions.




Add all ingredients, including the butternut sqaush, to the couscous. Mix altogether until well combined. Season with salt and pepper and you are done!




I never in a million years these types of flavors would all work together, but they do. And it is delicious. And you need to make it. Perfect to take to work for lunch, too! 

Love,
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by fabulous k