photo morning.png photo noon.png photo night.png photo in-betweem.png photo treats.png photo other-twists.png

Sunday, October 18, 2015

{No Oil} Pesto

Yeah, you read that title right - No. Oil. Pesto. I'm going be doing a couple of recipes that don't include oil because I'm on an eating regimen that doesn't allow it (or butter, or alcohol, or carbs - aka anything good in life (jk)). This forced me to be creative (during a time when brain farts happened more often than not) and mix up my favorite pasta sauce. To be honest, I've always thought pesto had too much olive oil in it to begin with. Looking at the bottom of an empty bowl where pesto played a part always made me feel a little bit guilty. Now, after a few test runs, I found a way that requires zero, zip, nada oil and it tastes great. I'm not kidding and not the alternative "great" - like the real, I-will-never-make-it-with-olive-oil-ever-again-great, deal. See below what the twist is...and, as always, enjoy!

PS - Huge thanks to my co-worker Charles who gave me this wonderful food processor!!!!





{No Oil} Pesto
Serving Size: 2-3 / Time: 10 Minutes

Ingredients:

  • 3 Cups Fresh Basil
  • 1/4 Cup Pine Nuts
  • 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 3 Garlic Cloves, Peeled
  • 1/8 Tsp Salt
  • 1/8 Tsp Pepper
  • 1/4 Cup Low Sodium Chicken Stock
Directions:
Place the basil into the bowl of a food processor.


Add parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper to bowl.

Place the pine nuts in a dry pan and place on stove over medium-high heat. (Watch closely as pine nuts burn very easily.) Shake frequently and remove once lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes. 


Add in garlic cloves.




Attach cover to bowl and pulse a few times.

Turn to "On" setting and slowly drizzle in the chicken stock.

Scrape down the sides of the bowl and serve however you'd like! (Think: dipping sauce, pasta sauce, marinade, etc.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by fabulous k