photo morning.png photo noon.png photo night.png photo in-betweem.png photo treats.png photo other-twists.png

Monday, April 29, 2013

Strawberry, Blackberry and Lemon Zest Jam

I wanted to do something I have never done before, so this weekend I made my own jam. I'm usually not a huge jam fan (mostly because it's too sweet) but I think I may have turned myself into a lover after dabbling in some homemade fun. I decided on strawberries and blackberries because (1) they're my favorite berries and (2) the farmers market by my work had a ton for a very great price. I added lemon zest as my lil' twist on it, because I've never seen it in any other recipe and I like the taste it gives with berries in general.



With A Lil' Twist's Strawberry, Blackberry and Lemon Zest Jam
Prep Time: 10 minutes / Cook Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 3 Cups Fresh Strawberries, Capped (tops cut off)
  • 2 Cups Blackberries
  • 2 Cups Sugar
  • Juice of 1 Lemon
  • Zest of 1 Lemon
  • 1/2 Package of Pectin (No Sugar Added Pectin)
  • Mason jars


Directions:
Wash the strawberries and blackberries. Combine the berries into a food processor (or a blender) and pulse just until they are cut into small pieces, make sure you don't create mush.



Pour the mixed berries into a large sauce pan. Add the sugar, pectin, lemon juice and zest.



Turn the stove on medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring often.

Bring a large pot filled with water to a boil. Drop the mason jars in the pot with their lids and let boil until the jam is done.

A pink foam will start forming on the top of the berry mixture. With either a spoon or a sieve, pick up the foam and either toss in a bowl or the sink (even though the foam tastes delicious, it won't give the jam the right consistency).

Constantly stir the jam mixture for about 45 minutes. The jam will start to form less and less foam as it gets thicker. Once the 45 minutes has passed, the jam should be done.

Carefully take your mason jars out of the pot with tongs. Let sit for about 5 minutes so you don't burn yourself. Use a hand towel to pick up the mason jar and fill it with jam. The recipe will make about two medium sized mason jars. Cover the jar and let sit for 30 minutes on the counter. After, you can put it in the refrigerator and let cool completely.


Now you can enjoy your homemade delicious jam on whatever you want!! It also makes a great present for a dinner party or a little surprise for some friends.

Now go jam away!

Love,
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by fabulous k