photo morning.png photo noon.png photo night.png photo in-betweem.png photo treats.png photo other-twists.png

Friday, April 19, 2013

With A Lil' Twist's Funfetti Cake

Hello everyone!

I know it's been awhile since I posted a recipe, but I hope this delicious cake makes up for it. Last weekend was my best friends 24th birthday and her all time favorite cake is Funfetti. I wanted to do something special for her and make my own recipe for a cake and add a nice frosting touch that would definitely have a "Wow" factor. I do have to apologize in advance though, I wasn't able to take pictures of me actually frosting the cake because I was finishing extremely close to her surprise time! So, I promise I will make up for it in another post dedicated to frosting a cake :)

Anyways, I hope you enjoy this cake recipe, because it absolutely surpasses the standard box one!!



With A Lil' Twist's Funfetti Cake
Prep Time: 15 minutes / Bake Time: 25-30 minutes

Ingredients:
Cake

  • 2 3/4 Cups Cake Flour, Sifted
  • 1 3/4 Cups Sugar
  • 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
  • 3/4 Tsp Salt
  • 1 Cup Milk (Whole)
  • 4 Egg Whites
  • 1 Whole Egg
  • 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1/4 Tsp Almond Extract
  • 10 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
  • Your Choice of Sprinkles (in the recipe I used blue and purple)
  • Frosting of your choice (I didn't have time to make my own buttercream frosting, so I used Betty Crocker's Rich & Creamy Frosting)
Directions:
Grease whatever cake pans you choose with butter and sprinkle flour. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a measuring cup, add the egg whites, whole egg, 1/4 cup of milk, vanilla and vanilla extract. Stir and set aside. 

In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Put your electronic mixer on low and let stir for 30 seconds. 

Add the butter and mix until the dry ingredients become sand-like. Add the remaining 3/4 cup of milk and mix on medium speed for 1 minute. Scrape the bowls once mixed.

Once you have scraped the sides of the bowl, turn the mixer back on to low and start mixing the egg/milk mixture 1/4 at a time, mixing for 20 seconds after each pour. 
Excuse my chipped nail!
Pour the mixture into your desired pans. To make it not your traditional Funfetti cake, in each pan I chose to mix in two different colors of jimmies. Mix into the batter just until combine and flatten it as much as possible so it will cook evenly. 

Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes before taking the cakes out of the pans. Let the cake cool completely on a wire rack. 

I cut the cakes in half and leveled them to get a 4 layer cake (I actually double the recipe for my friend's birthday party, because I wanted a higher cake) and put frosting in between each layer.

Before I put the decorative frosting on the cake, I put a thin layer of plain white frosting around as a base. I did an ombre frosting, and mixed the frosting with purple food dye and put them into separate piping bags.

Frost the cake however you like (I promise I'll do a post as to how I frosted my cake) and it's ready to serve!


We may or may not have cut into the cake after one too many bottles of wine ;)
Everyone pretty much raved about how good the cake was, so I definitely suggest giving a stab at it! 

Hope you all enjoy!

Love,

Nicole

P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARA!!!! Loveee youuuu!
Just Mara in all her glory...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out haha SUCH an amazing cake thanks again best!!!

    ReplyDelete

 

design + development by fabulous k